Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Neuro note - TBI 2

For my fourth neuro note, I chose to return to a neurological condition that intrigues me more than any other, traumatic brain injury.  The video I chose to watch is a speech by Kim Gorgens called, "Protecting the brain against concussion."  I chose to watch this video because I feel like prevention is key to many health problems in our society.


In the video, Kim uses her over protection of her son to lead into the reasoning of the prevention for concussions. Many people would disagree with her thoughts behind whether kids should play football or the law requiring all bicycle riders to wear a helmet, but she is promoting the safety and prevention of concussions.  She goes on to say that the three keys to preventing concussions are to study up, speak up and suit up.  Studying up on the signs of a concussion could play a big role, especially in coaches.  Speaking up about the topic can help promote the safety laws and implementations put into place by legislation.  Finally, suiting up by wearing a helmet to protect the most vital organ in your body, your brain.

The video is very short (~9 minutes) and provides a good insight of prevention methods from concussions.  There is not much scientific evidence in the video to back up her thought process besides the concussions statistics, however, this is a big topic around football players today and I believe that it should be strongly taken into consideration the prevention methods that she provides.  If you would like to hear her thoughts, I have provided the link below to the Tedtalk. Hope you enjoy!



Link: https://www.ted.com/talks/kim_gorgens_protecting_the_brain_against_concussion#t-536488



Gorgens, K. (n.d.). Protecting the brain against concussion. Retrieved from 
         https://www.ted.com/talks/kim_gorgens_protecting_the_brain_against_concussion#t-536488

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Interview Reflection

 I feel like my interview went well overall. I was confident going into it but a little bit nervous because I wasn't sure what they were...